Friday, October 17, 2008

I Bless the Rains Down in Africa...


The rain falling on the roof accompanied by Andy McKee's guitar singing, "Africa" took my mind by the hand to a memory of my mom and me raking acorns off our lawn. If you don't get the acorns off the ground, they'll destroy the grass. We had freshly seeded patches of grass that desperately needed the rain to nourish the soil instead of saturate the acorns. Then, when the rain comes, the droplets dive deep and quench the thirsty roots. I think my favorite time is to get up early after a huge rain. The ground is soaked, and there's usually a fog hovering in the air. I inhale the sweet smell of grass mixed with fresh water. Everything has been cleansed and given a spirit of newness. Thinking about my own life, I feel like I have am going through this cleansing. Recently I feel like I have been hiding from God, afraid of presenting myself with all this dirt on me. Ashamed, I have run and tried to avoid him, creating this wall around me. But, like the rain making its way deep into the earth, God's truth and persistent love has broken into my wall. I want so much to be washed clean, ready to learn and run after him. Be taught and transformed so I can become more like Him. Learning so much about starting over, starting fresh. Wanting to stop believing lies and eventually return to what I have been called to do. So thankful for grace. For the sweet morning of newness.

Hallelujah, grace like rain falls down on me
Hallelujah all my stains are washed away, washed away
-"Grace Like Rain" Todd Agnew

No comments: